National Engagement Intern
Internship opportunity with PEN America
This paid internship is funded by the Cultural Engagement Internships program and is only available to students at Fordham College at Lincoln Center and Fordham College at Rose Hill.
National Engagement Intern
Membership and National Engagement department
Hybrid (remote and in-office)
Start Date: January 30, 2023
End Date: May 8, 2023
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.
The national engagement intern will provide critical research, content, and briefings for the programs and activism we will execute in the future. This is a unique opportunity for individuals interested in community organizing, coalition-building, and literary activism. The intern will gain exposure to the wide range of PEN America’s work, and receive hands-on experience in program research and development, marketing, event management, data maintenance, and logistics.
The intern will assist with a variety of work, including but not limited to:
- Planning, developing, and implementing programs for a diverse, nationwide audience including, but not limited to: talks, panel discussions, rallies, petition drives, workshops, and special projects
- Creating briefs on partnership opportunities, community influencers, and potential venues for PEN America’s activist programming
- Contributing to PEN America’s online presence through social media outreach and promotion
- Supporting the creation and printing of event marketing materials such as website text and flyers
- Researching new and diverse literary voices
- Supporting the maintenance of data in Raiser’s Edge and shared computer files
- Assisting with the logistical preparation and onsite event management of PEN America’s membership and campaign events
The ideal candidate:
- Works at a steady pace is comfortable taking initiative and thrives working independently
- Demonstrates flexibility, autonomy, and thoughtfulness in managing work priorities
- Has excellent communication and research skills, and is proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications
- Must be willing to do a wide range of administrative tasks, from research to data entry
- Has an interest in literature, journalism, cultural programming, activism, and human rights
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing samples include but are not limited to college papers, original essays, stories, and articles that may have been previously published, as long as they have been subject to no more than minimal editing by someone other than yourself. Please include the cycle you’re applying for, and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Spring Cultural Engagement Internship Program – Jane Doe”).
The deadline for applications is January 6, 2023.