Social Media Intern - Fordham
Internship opportunity with Grassroots Grocery
This paid internship is funded by the Serving the City program and is only available to students at Fordham College at Lincoln Center and Fordham College at Rose Hill.
Social Media Intern
15 hrs / week
Virtual, with a strong preference for occasional in-person attendance at our Saturday volunteering events in the Bronx (which would count toward total hours accrued).
Start Date: January 30, 2023
End Date: May 8, 2023
Founded by two sixth-grade teachers during the pandemic, Grassroots Grocery is a not-for-profit organization powering a fleet of volunteers who bring fresh produce to community sites serving neighbors in need. We use a hyper-local, volunteer-powered, community-centered approach, and our programs include: (1) Community Fridges, and (2) Rapid Rescue. Our Community Fridge Program provides hyper-local infrastructure for increased food access. Our Rapid Rescue volunteers provide fresh produce rescued in bulk from the Hunts Point Produce Market to a growing network of hyper-local community sites every Saturday morning, where community leaders are empowered to provide food directly to their residents in need.
We currently have 30+ community-led distribution sites, reach 800+ families every Saturday, 2000+ volunteers engaged, and have rescued 550,000+ pounds of fresh produce. We believe that by increasing access to already existing food resources, we can connect neighbors to a healthier life.
Becoming an Intern at Grassroots Grocery
Social media is one of the avenues through which we engage current and future volunteers, donors, community partners, and more. In this role, you’ll join a rockstar team of social-impact focused social media superstars in order to rocket our social media into the next dimension.
This position is remote, but depending on responsibilities, could include in person activities through Upper Manhattan and the Bronx. We also prefer for interns to be able to commit to at least one in-person Saturday volunteering experience a month.
- In this role, you'll report to the Chief Creative Officer to brainstorm creative, relevant topics geared towards the Grassroots Grocery mission to grow our brand and our followers across all platforms
- Engage with our audience to grow our followers and engagement
- Source, schedule, and post social content in a consistent manner with a lens of constant optimization as needed
- Assist in identifying key influencers & communities that fit our values
- You are dependable, self-motivated and have great attention to detail and organization
- Students in studies in English, Communications, New Media and Digital Design, or Journalism, as well as Marketing or Business, are encouraged to apply. Please note, however, that Gabelli students are not eligible for this internship.
- You should have some experience or knowledge in graphic design, and community management
- In-depth working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative thinking skills
- Team player who can work in a collaborative, cross-functional environment or independently
- Extreme creativity and a willingness to push the boundaries
- An eye toward creative partnerships
- Experience managing a social media page
- Experience in and interest using social media management tools
- A passion for food justice and/or NYC communities
- An ability to work in an innovative, startup, ever-changing, high energy environment
- Strong time management skills, with an ability to be self-directed
- Extremely strong written communication skills
- A high level of integrity and trust
- An openness and excitement for learning and trying new things
The deadline for applications is January 15, 2023.