Capacity Building Intern - Fordham
Internship opportunity with Grassroots Grocery
This paid internship is funded by the Serving the City program and is only available to students at Fordham College at Lincoln Center and Fordham College at Rose Hill.
Capacity Building Intern
15 hrs / week
Virtual, with a strong preference for occasional in-person attendance at our Saturday volunteering events in the Bronx (which would count toward total hours accrued).
Start Date: January 30, 2023
End Date: May 8, 2023
Founded by two sixth-grade teachers during the pandemic, Grassroots Grocery is a not-for-profit organization powering a fleet of volunteers who bring fresh produce to community sites serving neighbors in need. We use a hyper-local, volunteer-powered, community-centered approach, and our programs include: (1) Community Fridges, and (2) Rapid Rescue. Our Community Fridge Program provides hyper-local infrastructure for increased food access. Our Rapid Rescue volunteers provide fresh produce rescued in bulk from the Hunts Point Produce Market to a growing network of hyper-local community sites every Saturday morning, where community leaders are empowered to provide food directly to their residents in need.
We currently have 30+ community-led distribution sites, reach 800+ families every Saturday, 2000+ volunteers engaged, and have rescued 550,000+ pounds of fresh produce. We believe that by increasing access to already existing food resources, we can connect neighbors to a healthier life.
Becoming an Intern at Grassroots Grocery
Interns play a key support role at Grassroots Grocery, providing the capacity to grow the organization’s operations, engagement, and overall impact. Working directly with the Founder/Executive, other team members, and community stakeholders, interns will manage day to day logistical tasks, volunteer engagement, community support activities, deliverable development, communications, and system implementation. This is an ideal opportunity for a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual who is passionate about food access and community development.
This position is remote, but depending on responsibilities, could include in person activities through Upper Manhattan and the Bronx.
Interns will manage the following:
- Research and create graphics for external collateral/promotion opportunities
- Create pitch decks and other fundraising deliverables
- Use our CRM to send emails to community stakeholders
- Create other outreach materials
Community and Volunteer Development Support
- Support the Grassroots Grocery team, including Dan Zauderer our CEO, in the cultivation and maintenance of long-term relationships with companies, organizations, schools, churches, alumni, networks, and corporations, through sustained outreach and other means
- Brainstorm and execute creative approaches to get in touch with local community stakeholders and decision-makers
Business Planning Support
- Support Founder/ED and Business Operations Consultant in business plan research and development
- Research competitors and market
- Research relevant funding opportunities
- Research grant opportunities using the Instrumentl platform
- Research our donors and supporters using Linkedin and other platforms
- Researching potential corporate partners and contacts at those organizations
- A passion food justice and/or NYC communities
- An ability to work in an innovative, startup, ever-changing, high energy environment
- Strong time management skills, with an ability to be self-directed
- Excellent relationship building skills grounded in a respect of different backgrounds and experiences
- An ability to collaborate with all levels of stakeholders, internally and externally
- A strong orientation towards technology platforms
- A high degree of comfort communicating across different mediums, with an eye towards collaboration and impact
- A high level of integrity and trust
- An openness and excitement for learning and trying new things
The deadline for applications is January 15, 2023.